Tendonitis is a condition that occurs when there is inflammation or irritation of the tendons. It usually happens due to overuse, repetitive movements or stretching. Foot tendonitis typically manifests with pain, swelling and stiffness and can affect any tendon of the foot.
Tendons are strong, cord-like bands of connective tissue that link muscle to bone. Overworking the tendons can cause tiny tears inside them which are accompanied by inflammation and pain.
There are four main causes of foot and ankle tendonitis:
- Overuse; the most common cause which occurs when the tendon is repeatedly overloaded or is repeatedly over-stretched
- Abnormal foot structure; when the foot operates in abnormal shapes it can put more stress on the tendons resulting in tendonitis
- Medical Conditions such as Gout and Rheumatoid arthritis
The symptoms of Foot tendonitis depends on the location. The most common symptoms include:
- Abnormal foot shape
TYPES OF FOOT TENDONITIS
Foot and ankle tendonitis can occur in different places on the foot manifesting as separate conditions. The types of foot and ankle tendonitis are:
- Achilles Tendonitis (heel and calf pain)
- Peroneal Tendonitis (back and outer side of your ankle/foot)
- Posterior Tibial Tendonitis (inner side of the foot)
- Extensor Tendonitis (top of the foot)
- Anterior Tibial Tendonitis (front of your foot)
The general treatment for foot tendonitis is rest which can take between a few weeks to a few months.
Other treatment options include:
- Anti Inflammatories
- Physical therapy